Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What a weekend!

Kellen being transferred from JCL to PCH hospital

So, our discharge from the hospital on Friday evening was short lived. It is hard to imagine from the last picture this happened to Kellen when he looked so happy. Friday night I went to check on Kellen to find that he vomited all over himself and his bed. We cleaned him up and put him in bed with us where he vomited one more time.

On Saturday morning he woke up sluggish but otherwise fine. Steve left with his dad to run some errands for the house, so the boys and I were hanging out together. This is when things took a turn for the worse. I was helping Owen get undressed when I saw Kellen fall to the floor. At first I thought he was puking, but when I picked him up his lips were blue and he was not breathing. I called 911 and just kept thinking I am going to give my child CPR. Kellen's eyes rolled back and one of his hands was drawn up to his chest. I would guess the whole incident lasted less than a minute but it felt like a eternity. Kellen was breathing when the paramedics arrived but was not responsive. He was gray and limp and would not open his eyes. To say I was hysterical is a understatement. The one thing that kept me sane was Terry. Terry is a fireman and a first responder. He is also the husband of Connie, the lady who watches the boys when I am sleeping after work. I was shocked when he walked through the door. Terry had just seen Kellen the night before, he kept saying he looked so good last night. Terry was wonderful. He was patient with me when I was hysterical and told me everything they were doing to help Kellen. He Kept reassuring me Kellen would be ok. Also he helped with Owen so he wasn't so scared. Owen knows Terry well and so he thought Terry was just there to visit. We all rode in the ambulance together to JCL hospital. Shorty after arrival Kellen was more responsive. We were then transferred back to PCH hospital for a neurological consult.

After 2 days, some lab work, an IV and fluids, and an EEG we were able to go home. Thank goodness the EEG and lab work were all ok. The doctors think Kellen had a vagal response to his reflux. This means when your vagas nerve is stimulated it causes your heart rate to drop and you pass out. I wanted to jump across the room and strangle the neurologist when she told us everything was normal and we should chalk it up to WBS. What is WBS? I was wondering that as well. She said WBS is weird baby stuff. How reassuring...

Yesterday, Kellen had lots of loose stool and was still vomiting. The good thing, he was drinking well. Finally, today I think he has turned the corner. Knock on wood, but he has not vomited and he had no loose stools. He is still not eating well and has lost over a pound since getting sick. However, I think this will come in the next couple of days when his stomach has more time to settle down.

Thanks again to all our family and friends who help out with Owen, brought us food, and were there for emotional support. Lets hope this is the last visit to the hospital for the Engens FOREVER!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment